DECISION SUPERIORITY – THE EDKID MODEL
Embedded in the design of the ThoughtWeb platform is the EDKID (Effects Decision Knowledge Information Data) model.
The EDKID model describes the requisite states for a community to make the best decisions and therefore achieve the best outcomes.
- Data Superiority relies on superior performance of the infrastructure to sense or consume appropriate data from trusted sources.
- Information Superiority requires security (‘need to know’) and access (‘need to share’), bringing together both structured and unstructured data plus perceptions and targets, delivering the right information to the right people in a suitable format in the shortest possible time.
- Knowledge Superiority requires people to have the appropriate mental models and experience, and sufficient assimilation time to put new information in context. In a large community operating within a fast-changing environment, Knowledge Superiority is dependent upon how well the appropriate mental models and contextual frameworks are able to adapt and be shared across the organisation.
- Decision Superiority is achieved by experienced people with Knowledge Superiority, plus wisdom, confidence, energy and the time necessary to consider alternatives and make the best choices.
Communities are hampered in their efforts to achieve superior effects because their people do not share the same mental models and contextual frameworks, their interpretive and sensing networks are inconsistent and inadequate (i.e. not measuring the right things), and they use fragmented tools requiring inordinate amounts of human effort to aggregate and rearrange information and collaborate in context.
ThoughtWeb’s approach to achieving Decision Superiority
Each ThoughtWeb solution uses a concept map to create an adaptable, shared contextual framework and a cognitive model – i.e. software that can reason contextually and apply intelligent push – automatically tagging and aggregating information and delivering relevant, prioritised information to each person in the community in context, in near real time. Intelligent push (enabled by personal agents using the concept map to give them intelligence) minimises human effort and enables speed in transforming data into information in context, combined with intelligent, personalised recommendations and alerts as needed by each decision maker. ThoughtWeb technology, configured rapidly to address particular areas of need, enables people to achieve Knowledge Superiority and Decision Superiority.
The applications created by ThoughtWeb are easy to use, web-based, secure and highly adaptable to changing needs. ThoughtWeb extends the traditional model of data, information, knowledge and wisdom to incorporate:
- emotion and desire (e.g. the desire for particular outcomes, leader’s intent, purpose drivers)
- concept networks (knowledge models of concepts, objects – physical and conceptual – and their linkages)
- feedback loops which accelerate learning and stimulate creativity.